Questions for Player Liaison Candidates

Discussion in 'Worlds Chat' started by PerfectFlaw, Dec 1, 2018.

1. PerfectFlaw

PerfectFlaw Ferocious Cinnamon Roll Head Administrator Lifetime V.I.P.

This is just a list of player-suggested questions for our Player Liaison Candidates. Feel free to ask more below for them to respond to! :)

1) This position is primarily about communication, specifically facilitating communication between players and staff. What experience do you have in effective communication and mediation?

2) The description of the job includes responding to player grievances, communicating feedback for the staff, and explaining decisions made by staff. Do you have any specific thoughts or plans as to how you will tackle these responsibilities?

3) Aside from the three above, are there any other responsibilities or roles you would like to fulfill as the player liaison?

4) The most important part of this position is to act independent of staff. How do you plan to remain approachable and "non-staff" in the eyes of the players?

Thanks!

2. Banesidhe

Banesidhe Floofy Lifetime V.I.P.

What community projects have you been involved with on the server in the past, and/or the present?

3. dasqu314

dasqu314 Tree Puncher Lifetime V.I.P. Nerdfighter

1) What experience do you have in effective communication and mediation?

A fair amount of my experience comes from from figure skating. One of my favorite volunteer positions at competitions is to be the ice monitor whose job is to make sure skaters are checked in and where they are supposed to be before they get on the ice. Often the skaters don't check in and so I check on the skaters to make sure they’ve checked in. Another issue that arises is when parents want to watch from the "skater only" area and I have to politely request that they move. I'm also a teaching assistant at the rink which involves talking to both parents and children. For example some parents want to help their kids get onto the ice, but we have to make sure that they stay off the ice so that they don’t accidentally fall. As a teaching assistant, a lot of what I do is helping skaters who aren’t as proficient in skills improve if the coach is working with someone else which means I need to be able to explain a technique in a way that the kids can understand. Another example that I think goes well with this job is that I like to help my friends with math homework. I'm very good at relaying more complicated concepts in a way that's easier to understand, but I can also explain the details if that's more important or necessary.

2) The description of the job includes responding to player grievances, communicating feedback for the staff, and explaining decisions made by staff. Do you have any specific thoughts or plans as to how you will tackle these responsibilities?

One of my best traits is my ability to be passionate about an issue while remaining calm. I rarely get angry about an issue, and if I do I am able to step away and put things in perspective. Additionally, being friends with a lot of players and staff, I'm able to keep in mind that all of us are human and we all make mistakes. I'm also good at communicating criticism without it sounding as though I'm blaming someone for what has happened. Another asset in this regard is that I am good at staying objective about issues. Along the lines of what I said in the first answer, I am good at explaining things in the amount of detail that's necessary. If someone wants to know whether they can do something I can explain the rule, and if needed the reasons behind the rule so that people don't feel that staff are just making up rules out of thin air.

3) Aside from the three above, are there any other responsibilities or roles you would like to fulfill as the player liaison?

I definitely will help to make sure that all people feel like they are welcome in the community whether they're someone new, a long time member, or someone returning from a long hiatus. I love to answer questions from people especially if staff are not available.

4) The most important part of this position is to act independent of staff. How do you plan to remain approachable and "non-staff" in the eyes of the players?

I think I have a good balance of knowing a lot of people on staff, but not having a staff mindset. My friendships mean I'm very comfortable interacting with the staff, but I still am able to look at things from an outside perspective of a player. If someone feels that the staff treated them unfairly, I won’t automatically side with staff. I’m able to keep in mind that the staff and players are human when I’m helping resolve conflict.

What community projects have you been involved with on the server in the past, and/or the present?

I’ve only been active on the server for about six months, so I haven’t worked on many huge projects. I have however been active in building mineville over the summer, and I plan to continue into the future. I’ve built a few public farms, a few public mines, and a couple of roller coasters. Additionally, I was on the build team for the new map and was briefly involved with Nouveau Batiment towards the end of the last map.

As a last thought, I'm sure that everyone wants the best for the server. We're human, we make mistakes, but in the end, we're one community drawn together by a love of Minecraft and all things Nerdy. Please feel free to send me a pm on discord (Dasqu314#2455), forums, or in game (Dasqu). DFTBA

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. OhMagicalUnicornLord

OhMagicalUnicornLord Pig Jockey Nerdfighter

1. I don't have any formal experience with communication or mediation, unless dealing with my two little cousins counts. :p

2. I intend to provide feedback that explains the rules in a clear way, but is kind. If the issue is something not so black or white, I will try to be kind, unbiased, and thoughtful.

3. I don't know. To be honest I'm mostly feeling this out as I go along. Hopefully I'm able to conform to whatever role is most helpful to others. :)

4. Even friendly disagreements can sometimes leave people feeling unheard or frustrated. I intend to handle interactions in a way that is as fair and unbiased as possible, so that players feel that they can speak up, and be heard. My hope is that by taking on this role, I can help build a network of trust between all members of the server!

*What community projects have you been involved with on the server in the past, and/or the present?*

I was a very active player a few years back, but went afk due to school and life reasons. During my earlier active time, a couple of bigger projects I was involved in include working on Whimsvale, a player town that sadly didn't end up coming to fruition, and working as a writer and editor for a revival of NERD, a player run newspaper. Now that I've returned, I hope that I'll be involved in many more projects!

Feel free to reach out to me as well! I should be on the server Discord list, or you can pm me here or in game. :D

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  5. Refresne

Refresne Tree Puncher Nerdfighter

1) This position is primarily about communication, specifically facilitating communication between players and staff. What experience do you have in effective communication and mediation?
    Experience? Haha, well I'm not sure if this is a perfect example but I actually just got done working a full-day retail shift on Thanksgiving and Black Friday for the first time last week. I was one of a few people managing the schedule of other employees, who should be where on which day, and there was an awful lot of mediation in that process matching people's availability and proficiency with what we needed in the store. It was a very hectic day and I was of course also needed to help customers find fittings and answer questions whenever they needed it. One of the coolest things about Black Friday is that you will hardly ever hear so many different languages and accents spoken at one time outside of like an international airport. I had honestly no idea so many Hispanic, Latinx, Indian, Bangladeshi, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Iranian, French, Eastern European, South African, and Jamaican people lived within driving distance of my outlet mall! But it was all very exciting and obviously took quite a bit of communications skills when some of the younger employees would unfortunately come up to me and go, "Hey uh, can you help me with this person? I can't quite understand what they're saying.." You always want to be as polite and courteous as possible with other people when language barriers present an issue. But despite the reputation of that holiday everything turned out quite positive and we closed very successfully! It was definitely a big learning experience for me and I kind of consider it a notch on my belt now.

My primary plan is to just make myself as available as possible to other people on the server, which is my only real concern when I think about filling this roll. My offline life will sometimes keep me away from the server for days at a time, but I still want to be as helpful as I can through discord and other means of contact. I always try to be quick to respond to questions or clear up ambiguities that are asked in the chat like commands for warping between worlds or sending stars/mail between players.

One thing I honestly love doing is helping out new people and showing them around. It was such an awesome experience being able to bring people around to the previous nerdcrafteria cities and be like "Look at this cool thing! And this cool thing! And this cool thing someone built! And this cool thing over here!" the way some folks did with me when I first joined the server, and I really look forward to doing that for whatever we have planned for this new world as well! I have also been keeping a small list of recommendations that I just have jotted down in a notebook for whenever they cross my mind while I'm playing, and I can easily expand that out to include other player's suggestions as well, for when I list them all up in the designated "Suggestions" thread on the forums!

I understand that above all, everyone in Nerdcrafteria from new players to staff, just wants a fun, welcoming, cool Minecraft server to enjoy, spend time in and relax with. Keeping an amiable and friendly environment is something that has mattered a lot to me as a member and is a part of why this is by far my favorite server I've ever spent time on. While I don't personally see much of a distinction between staff and non-staff members in terms of approachability, I do know how it can create a bit of anxiety or trepidation in people when they consider raising an issue, or don't want to 'bother' staff with something they're unsure is important. That's why I do think that proactively talking with players in a discreet, non-judgemental way as a liaison can help smooth over those issues, even though it's still something staff members I've interacted with have been very good at themselves.

Well I've participated in quite a few events over the past year like the Nerdcrafter Olympics and the hunt for Little Green Visitor Friends that staff held, and I've also got some screenshots I saved from when Nodred and I collectively won the Thistledown chest from the auction that was held a while back, but I haven't really been involved with the setting up of any community events I don't think, other than maybe minor recommendations and bug reports for things.

• Like Like x 1
    • List