Important Updates News Update: Build Contests, Podcast Bloopers, and Digital Towns!

Discussion in 'Server News' started by Islid, Oct 18, 2012.

By Islid on Oct 18, 2012 at 6:43 AM
  1. Islid

Islid Slime Trampolinist Nerdfighter

Got a lot of stuff to cover, since I didn't get to post on Sunday (my bad, I wasn't feeling well over the weekend). Time for a news dump!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. I haven't mentioned it much lately, but PandaHP's creative competition for the Spleef Arena is NEARLY COMPLETE! You can find more information at this post right here, but the gist of it is that the competition ends in TWO DAYS!!!! Submit your entries on that thread, and you will be required to do that in order for them to be considered! Those who have already submitted might want to consider making any last minute edits that have been on their minds. If you've posted screenshots but do want to make small edits and things like that, you're welcome to do so, but if it changes significantly, you'll need to re-submit your application. Only one application allowed per person!

Follow the simple format on his post, and you'll be all good. The builds there look great, so I expect any people who have been working forever on theirs should be awesome too.

2. The PODCAST is finally up! At least, the first half is. The way we're doing the pilot episode, because there's just SO MUCH that we're like, "What the heck do we do..." we just made two versions of the pilot with two different sets of people and discussed more or less the same topics. The second half of the first podcast should be posted shortly, and then we'll get to recording new versions! Bear in mind, we recorded both halves of the first podcast before we got any significant advice about how to do it, so it's a bit dated. :p

That being said, WE NEED YOUR FEEDBACK! I cannot stress enough to you guys that it's important for you to express your like/dislike for anything that happens in the podcast so we can tailor it to you guys, because that's ultimately the goal we're going for. We'll be keeping it a basic laid-back chatting style, but other than that, you guys get to dictate how it goes! We have our basic ideas, like things for slots and stuff, but if you prefer to see certain discussion topics covered, we'll definitely consider it. :)

We'll also be pulling in some special guests to come in on the podcast and talk to us about what they do, including famous youtubers, community members, and perhaps even higher level people! The only way that can happen, though, is if you guys listen to the podcasts and comment on/like the posts we make about them.

All of the podcasts will have a downloadable version (for just the edited version, although one can be made available for the unedited version if you wish), as well as an in-forum link for the actual podcast that you'll just be able to navigate to and click play on to listen to. We'll probably be expanding the player a little bit, but for now, it functions just fine for what we need. Hope you enjoy it! :D

3. We've moved to Delta, as you no doubt have noticed, which is basically just a fancy tag that says "We're slightly less buggy than we were before". We've obviously gone through all of the hardware upgrades (and all of the resulting hardware hell we dealt with for that weird 36-48 hour period), and as a result, we'll be rolling out some new plugins for you guys to use as well as some more features and a new world for the VIPs, as promised, pretty soon! It's just a matter of time. :)

4. Laketown will be developed pretty soon - because of pressing server issues (like the weird crashes and bugs and crap), I've been unable to get around to it. However, if there are people interested in stepping in to develop constructions for it, you guys are welcome to make them on your creative plot, and if they're good enough to be approved by Amsterdom, we can move them into the main world to use as centralized buildings in Laketown! If your building gets picked, depending on the style, you'll be living in it as your house in that city and possibly renting/selling rooms in an apartment (if you decide to construct a building like that, although alternatives are nice). The goal is, in the end, to have you guys make your towns so you feel more invested in it. That makes it more special!

5. Finally got all of the PVP junk settled, as far as lost items are concerned, after much strife and unnecessarily bothersome communication difficulties! Thank you all for being as patient as you are, and in the future, it might be prudent to just store away all of your items so you don't have to worry about them when you go for a PVP game. We'll be opening up the PVP world publicly pretty soon, and we'll make a separate news announcement when we get a more official date settled. Keep posted!

6. Hallowe'en Spawn Decorations! In all cities, as well, there are decorations floating around. I keep getting hilarious comments from our Australian buddies that Hallowe'en isn't really celebrated much there, and how it's weird to them that we celebrate it as much as we do. Well, what's not to love about getting candy from strangers? XD

On a similar note, we'll be transitioning into the winter holidays pretty soon, of which there are many aspects - Christmas, Kwanza, Hanukah, and any of a variety of other celebrations of that nature. Since there are a lot of relatively well-known celebration styles, we'll be opening up a small competition pretty soon for you guys to start building little toys, decorations, and things of that nature that you feel best represents your particular holiday style. Dreidels, menorahs, pine trees, presents, bells, stars, angels - anything you'd like to toss in as a decoration, we can lay it on the ground of spawn somewhere, or maybe even hang it on the tree that will be appearing at spawn! Expect those decorations to go in within the next month (because I freaking love Christmas and I start decoration the day after Thanksgiving, lol).

7. There are still a LOT of packages left for the donation system, and you guys should snap them up while you can... These are the remaining packages. Remember, the deal is that I'll be doubling your money for the first people who can claim these packages via the /buycraft donation system!

$100 Donor Packages - 6 left!
    $75 Donor Packages - 10 left!
    $50 Donor Packages - 4 left!

That's a lot of llamas to seize - imagine making a sizable donation to charity (because remember, we keep none of the money) and getting $200,000 in-game llamas for a normally $100,000 value... That's enough to buy quite a lot of diamonds. :p

8. Doing a bit of a throwback (because it's been that long since I last posted), PandaHP raised over $1,000 for the This Star Won't Go Out Foundation thanks to the 24 hour livestream you guys participated in! It was a great collection, and extremely successful - if you guys want to do it again, suggest punishments for Panda to do at $100 increments all the way up as far as you can think of. Let's see if we can get him to do silly stuff... that mayo moon pie was pretty gross, but I'm sure we can think of something worse!

9. Dom made a YouTube video, linked right here, that is quite hilarious to watch - it's a parody of a couple of real life things the Vlogbrothers have done in their videos in the past. Personally, it really reminds me of Humpy Hank, lol. What do you guys think? Comment on the post!

10. I cleared out some empty/duplicate plots AGAIN, so you guys might have noticed that you lost some stuff in the process! Remember, please, you CANNOT own two plots in the same city without a very specific exception granted to you by the staff (which, to my knowledge, has not happened yet). If you need to sell one of the plots you own, check the FAQ linked right here that Dyaizon was so kind to assemble for you (with the help of other Nerdfighters, of course), in order to learn more about how to make the signs necessary to sell your plot. Provided you have a sign up to sell the plot, you shouldn't have to be concerned about owning duplicates - If you follow the format Dya puts on his post, I can still remove you from the plot you're selling and you get credit for the sale once someone else purchases it even if you don't own the plot before you sell it. That allows your /rg list to stay cleaner, while permitting you to sell plots.

That being said, players that have bought eight plots in a single city and set up sell signs for a markup on them will have their plots revoked immediately with no reparations paid. Price gouging is definitely NOT awesome, and a lot of people have complained about it... you shouldn't be too upset if you get called out on it. Sorry! :p

11. There's a bunch of little stuff involving mobs and the shop, so I'm just going to combine them all as subsections of the same list item here for you:

- Blazes have had penalties levied on them that scale up in profit loss based on how many of them you kill. Killing a few ensures you won't lose money in the long run (the penalty for killing one is set at a level that's mostly less than the cost of one at market), but farming them results in a loss because the penalty has a cap that's slightly higher than the market price, and the average of killing them over time makes them more expensive. In addition, we're considering establishing a small reward for breaking spawners, so we'll see how that works out!

- Villagers... villagers. Oh jeez. Where do I even start... They're going to be overhauled. If you haven't been paying attention to this thread here, the basic gist is that a lot of players are concerned (and slightly confused) about the current implementation of villagers versus where they'd like to see them, versus where they can realistically be. Long story short, they're highly confusing and hard to manage in reference to an in-game economy, so we're going to implement some possible fixes to try and resolve that situation. The ultimate goal is to raise the price of emeralds to a slightly more profitable level, but prevent players from spamming the market with cheap bottles of enchanting in order to devalue enchantments in general. We'll see how that works in practice.

- The potion shop, for anyone who was unaware, is open once again - I didn't mention it in my last news post for some reason, but it is open and you guys can go use it. I've seen a lot of questions about people wondering where to buy potion supplies. Feel free to drop in, it's all functioning like it was before again!

12. There are going to be some experimental changes happening over the next couple of weeks to try and resolve some of the pervasive issues on the server (for example, the charging 1k for accidentally locking chests thing), so don't be surprised if you see some changing mechanics. We'll be sure to announce properly when something changes and how it has changed so you guys can make the transition more easily.

13. The forums, in case you're interested, are now hidden from non-registered members. This obviously creates a lot of problems for people who are lazy and don't make forum accounts, but since it's completely free and not difficult at all to do so, I don't expect it to be a problem. It'll also solve a lot of problems with not having people on the forums when they need to be (507 members, versus 5,300 unique server connections is a bit off) and things of that nature. The forum is an integral part of the server. We use it for a lot of communication with you guys, and it's important for you guys to be invested on here as well as in-game so we know that we can get ahold of you all at the slightest notice if necessary. We appreciate it a lot when you guys register!

14. There are new regions in the main market on the next floor up for players to buy stalls to sell things. In order to go check it out, type /warp pshop or pmarket, as well as pbuy/psell/ptrade (they all work as warp options). It'll take you right up to the player shop level so you can spread out and browse from there, or even buy your own stall.

This concludes today's announcements of news. Thanks for reading, sorry for missing a day, and keep your eyes peeled for more information about the upcoming Hallowe'en event! :D

Sincerely,
    Islid (Administrator)

• Like Like x 2

Comments

Discussion in 'Server News' started by Islid, Oct 18, 2012.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.
    1. EdgarAlone
      EdgarAlone
      Regarding Laketown builds, was there any particular size and/or theme you had in mind? Pretty keen to get started on something for that right away is all.
    2. Islid
      Islid
      Not really. Pick your favourite. :p
    3. Plaaank
      Plaaank
      *so much info*
      I can't wait to watch spleef!
    4. TicTacChlo
      TicTacChlo
      I don't know if this is possible, but for the winter holidays if we could change the texture pack or use a plugin to make torches look like holiday lights, it would be very cool!
    5. Islid
      Islid
      It would require some creative texture pack editing, but it could be done by making torches, redstone torches, glowstone, and glowstone lamps all different christmas light textures.
    6. Joshua
      Joshua
      In response to the Halloween decorations thing, I have a dispenser in front of my house full of cookies (hooked up to a button) for "trick or treaters" (since Minecraft doesn't have candy I obviously had to improvise). So feel free to go trick-or-treating. (My house is x: 629.35699, y: 66.000, z: 113.16715, f: 2)

Edit: I'll probably be removing the dispenser after Halloween. I don't know though.
      Edit2: I am obviously using the HONOR SYSTEM. Please take only one cookie (even though there's like 9 stacks of 64 in there lol)
    7. Islid
      Islid
      Read up in the chat - this question was literally just asked.
    8. jdavid20
      jdavid20
      Omg! I need to like honestly, how do i miss that! God im sorry :p
    9. BooleanEarth
      BooleanEarth
      Aw, I hope you're feeling better now.

Ooh, I may have to build you some Hannukah things.

Lol, I'd be concerned, too, if I were a villager. You were talking about getting rid of them! You must've hurt their feelings :p

Yay! Wondrous news. I've been missing the potions shop. For a while, I thought you guys were going to get rid of it, like the redstone shop. I take it this reopening means that's not the case?
    10. Islid
      Islid

XD I'm so tired, lol.
    11. iBC
      iBC
      Awesome informative post!
      If I had the time/enthusiasm I would build something really special for lake-town, but I work too much to have time for really creative pursuits. But either way, I hope some people submit some amazing stuff! :)
    12. lister93
      lister93
      If we have a build idea for Laketown, how do we let you guys know? Do we submit a ticket, or talk to you on here?
    13. CLyane
      CLyane
      I would say the forums is the best place to put it, because we might forget where your build is if you just submit a modreq. :]
    14. lister93
      lister93
      Awesome, I'll be sure to post my build once it's finished then, thanks.
    15. TicTacChlo
      TicTacChlo
      I didn't Want to clog this thread, So I made a thread in creative for contest entries! Check out my submission, and If anyone else has one I guess put it there. There wasn't a place for the contest entries so I hope it was ok to make the thread!
    Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.